What Is a Statement of Purpose?
The SOP or Statement of Purpose, also known as the Letter of Intent, is an informative document that universities abroad require you to submit with your application. A Statement of Purpose gives a clear picture of your career path, interests, goals, subject knowledge, vision, and motivation behind pursuing a particular program.
Why Is Statement of Purpose Important?
Several factors contribute to the candidate’s selection in a particular university, of which, Statement of Purpose is marked as the decision maker for the selection process. With the increasing number of applications for overseas education, the Statement of Purpose plays a crucial role in differentiating one international student from another. Hence, international students must write a well-structured and impressive Statement of Purpose to get admission to a desired university.
Why MS in CS?
With the ample number of jobs in the IT industry, one may think job experience is enough for a successful career in computer science. But you can only go so far with work experience. The rapid refinements in technology have brought the eye of companies toward skilled candidates with advanced degrees that can head their technical teams. Hence we conclude that Computer Science is a competitive field, and a Master’s degree in Computer Science might be your best shot to skyrocket your career.
If you still doubt it, here are a few things that will blow your mind:
- There will be a 15.5% growth in job openings requiring a master’s degree in computer science over ten years.
- You get technical knowledge in a master’s degree in computer science that can alter your career path.
- Improve Your Research Skills to Be Ready for a Ph.D Program.
- If you have a master’s degree in computer science, you have the highest possibility of cracking the ultimate-paying job.
- You will stand out from the competitors if you have a master’s degree in computer science.
Statement of Purpose for MS in CS
One of the most in-demand academic specialties worldwide is computer science. Hence, universities get numerous applications for MS in Computer Science. A well-written and structured SOP helps you stand out from the crowd and acts as a bridge for a student to acquire admission for MS in Computer Science at a particular university. An appropriate Statement of Purpose for a master’s degree in computer science must include information on previous internships, academic qualifications, work experience, interests, future plans, and completed projects. An SOP for MS in Computer Science may differ depending on your educational and work experience.
Hereafter, we will discuss how one should write a statement of Purpose for MS in Computer Science.
How to Prepare an SOP for a Master’s Degree in Computer Science?
If you’re looking forward to writing a Statement of Purpose for a Master’s in Computer Science, you should consider adding several sections/paragraphs. It is crucial to express every part of it more pleasingly. However, the sections may differ a bit if you’re writing SOP for MS in Computer Science with an ECE background or SOP for MS in Computer Science with Mechanical background or based on your work experience. Nevertheless, here are the five key points that every Statement of Purpose should contain regardless of the candidate’s background and work experience.
- Introduction: The introduction is the first thing the selection panel will have their sights on. Your opening statement shouldn’t be too formal or informal and should contain a brief introduction of yourself and your family background. A little part about your interest in the subject area would be an advantage.
- Background Information: The section will hold your academic record and the reason for your interest in the subject area that you’ve chosen.
- Skills: If you’re from a Non-IT background and are writing an SOP for MS in Computer Science, mentioning skills relevant to Computer Science will showcase your determination for the same. If you’re from an IT domain, you can focus more on internships and projects.
- Choice of Program and University: Here, provide a quick view of your interest in the chosen program, why you want to study it further, and the reason for picking the particular university.
- Goals: It is advantageous to mention your short-term and long-term goals and how these higher studies would help you achieve them.
- Conclude: Now it’s time to make an effect. In the end, highlight the skills and qualities that make you a perfect candidate for the course.
So lastly, all that’s left in your computer science sop sample is the substantial writing of your Statement of Purpose for your Master’s in Computer Science.
This stage is deceptively easy. Because as you get down to truthfully writing your story, even if it’s a SOP for MS in computer science with Mechanical or ECE background or other, you may start to feel like there’s vast or slight content for you to write about. Here you will need to understand some essential rules of creative writing to produce a truly impactful story in your SOP.
Let us get into the nitty-gritty of the process in this section.
Step #1: Brainstorm & place your cards and only pick what you want to highlight. Break down paragraphs with a flow.
Step #2: Reconcile & Strike a proportion between what you want to indicate and what an AdCom would like to catch a glimpse of.
Step #3 Narrate Your Story in a way that, while being professional, is also interesting.
Now you’ve sorted out the right viewpoint for your story, got down, and written it. You shall see how it’s a fair idea to sketch out a structure of your SOP.
But we’re not over it yet.
Here’s a short list of do’s and don’ts that make a good SOP.
- Do an ethical study before starting the SOP.
- Use easy and effective language.
- Keep concentrated and stay on the topic.
- Do not provide any inaccurate information.
- Do not use informal language and avoid humor.
- Do not exceed the maximum word limit.